CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 31, 2009

First Harvest

It's awfully late in the season for a first harvest, but this is our first opportunity. We planted four little plants last spring - one zucchini, one tomato and two green peppers - and since then we've lost two bell peppers and two tomatoes. We have however harvested one giant zucchini.

It was huge. We were out of town for a few days and it seemed to have exploded while we were gone. It also housed a Mama spider and her 300 babies. I picked it up and dozens of baby spiders scampered. Then when I thought it was safe, Mama spun down just a few inches from my hand. This is dangerous work!

Despite the spiders, Ben and I celebrated our harvest. He was so excited, he bit the zucchini with his only teeth - two on the bottom.



Here are his little teeth marks.



I have to say, this zucchini was not tasty. I added it to shrimp fettuccine and it was so wooden, Chuck asked, "What is this, cucumber?" If it weren't for that little tag in the ground by the plant, I would wonder too.

Maybe the next one will be better...I see it growing out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment