CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Welcome Back to Blogging

I have been MIA for several months. I have no excuses, just overwhelmed with my daily responsibilities, but making a promise to get back to blogging. I love writing and I especially love writing about my cartoonish family.

So, here's a quick update:
1. I retired from marketing to be a full-time mom/trophy wife.
2. We found out Ben has several food allergies and intolerances and have totally changed our diets/whole lives.

So how is it going? I'd say marginal. My house is not nearly as clean as I imagined it. There is one line from NBC's Parks and Recreation that sums this situation up. Amy Poehler is explaining to a city forum that because of budget cuts, they will have to close all the parks next year. One women stands up and says, "What am I supposed to do with my children? Do you expect me to keep them in my house?!"

That says is all. Am I really expected to keep my son in my house? That scenario is bad for everyone, but especially the house.

Ben is also learning a lot lately. He says an average of two new words a day. This morning he said "Brandy" and that was really cute. Last night he said something that wasn't so cute.

We went to Sibley Orchards to pick out some pumpkins with the Sylers (our neighbors), and after four pumpkins, some apple butter and the very best cherry cider I've ever tasted we decided to go to Los Compos, a local Mexican joint, for dinner.

Garret is telling us how he's going to take Austin fishing for the first time on Friday and Austin is telling us about his new Spongebob fishing pole. So I asked Ben, "Benny, do you want to go fishing next year?"

And he shouted, "Oh yeah!" Except he didn't say, "Oh." It was truly a Christmas Story experience. My sweet little boy said the queen mother of all bad words and basically said it perfectly.

I was stunned. I asked, "Benny, what did you say?" And Stacie chimed in, "I think we all know what he said." Thanks Stace.

I was mortified. At least two tables were looking at us. How can a child who basically uses the same nonsensical sounds to say both "pumpkin" and "outside" pull this off and where did he hear it? Especially in this context. It's not like Chuck and I are walking around like we live in a frat house.

Chuck: "What's for dinner?"
Me: "Meatloaf."
Chuck: "Oh yeah!"

That kind of excitement never happens. And it we were that excited for some reason, it would never involve the F-word.

I hope this word disappears into a confused memory. I really don't want my son to be the kid that teaches other kids how to curse a pre-school.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Jackie that is hilarious and strange all together. Of all the words to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! It's been a sad 6 months without you! If you want to blame the F-bomb on me, I won't be upset. I say that word A LOT!

    ReplyDelete