CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, September 21, 2009

Garden Update

It's almost October and I'm pretty sure everyone else has prepared their garden for the winter. We don't know how to do that so our sad little garden is still plugging along.

We've harvested several zucchinis, four green bell peppers and one tomato. Truly, that was the best tomato I've ever eaten - it was juicy and fresh and had the very best flavor! I think I'm ruined for all other tomatoes.

I've been finding new recipes for our zucchinis. Since the first zucchini was hard and tasteless, Chuck's been asking, "Is this from our garden?" and sniffing it suspiciously. Chuck always smells his food before he eats it. I don't know how that helps, but I guess he's done it since he was little. I've been around him so much now, I can hear him do it even if I'm not looking at him. It's always the same routine:

Chuck: "What is this?"
Jackie: "It's mashed sweet potatoes."
Chuck: "Is it good?"
Jackie: "I think so."
Chuck: "Sniiiffff....(bite and chewing)....humm....."

Here are two delicious zucchini recipes.

End of Summer Chili by Rachael Ray
http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=2857

Although Chuck firmly believes all chili should consist of meat and beans only, he still ate this. There are lots of veggies and it's really good for you.

Mini Meatball Stoup by Rachael Ray
I don't have a recipe for this, it's not on her Web site, but I saw DeAmbra make it so I tried to replicate and mine came out more like Italian Jambalaya.

Basically you saute any veggies you have on hand (I used carrots, onion, zucchini, green pepper, celery, and three cloves of garlic) in olive oil. Add about two quarts of chicken stock and Italian seasonings (I used thyme and oregano- about two teaspoons). Make mini meatballs and drop them into the boiling soup and then add a cup of small pasta. I didn't have any small pasta on hand so I added orzo (rice-shaped pasta) and it soaked up all the broth and my meal really did look like jambalaya with meatballs instead of sausage.

Jason, our brother-in-law, said, "Wow, this is delicious. I don't know what it is, but it's good." I don't know what it is either.

Give it a try and send me your suggestions. I think this meal has potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment