CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Six More Weeks of Winter


Well ol' Phil saw his shadow yesterday and that means six more weeks of winter. I can hear SG saying now, "Jerk groundhog."

I was disappointed the thought of six more frigid weeks, so I made a list of six fun wintry things to do. These are the things I long for by the time the thermometer reaches 101 in August.

1. Enjoy some Hot Chocolate. I love hot chocolate and wish I could drink it year round. Land o Lakes makes delicious flavored hot chocolate that you can buy in single-serving packages. Try raspberry, mint or carmel. Yum!

2. Go to a Movie. I loved going to movies during the summer when I was younger. It was always so cold in the theatre and it felt so good after being so hot. But the reverse is true in the winter. Wear a scarf, sneak in some hot chocolate and enjoy a flick.

3. Take in a Hockey Game. Independence opened a new events center last November and it's home to the Missouri Mavericks, a minor league hockey team that's major league fun. The games are exciting and the sound track is awesome (think Guns 'n Roses and Miley Cyrus). Get their schedule and tickets here.

4. Splurge on Comfort Food. Comfort foods are so delicious and taste best when it's cold outside. Fix some chili, roast with potatoes and carrots, or creamy broccoli soup and remember that this is the best time of year to enjoy these tasty meals. Here's Rachael Ray's latest take on chili - Barbecued Chili.

5. Cuddle up by the Fire. Make a date with your love, grab a new CD (or an old favorite) and a blanket, flip on the fire (assuming it's gas - this may involve building a real fire) and cuddle up. I know this sounds corny, but it's a nice escape from the routine and a great way to reconnect.

It's fun to listen to old music and think about life when that song was on the radio. Maybe you were in college, moving to a new city, or just falling in love. And it's fun to discover new music and daydream about what you want to do next. I'm always surprised by what Chuck says when we do this. I've heard really productive things like build shelves for our garage and I've heard what I'll call "other" like start a band. No matter what, it's fun to see what they're thinking and dream a little.

6. Get Outside. Seriously, it was 50 degrees yesterday. Bundle up, collect anyone you'd like to accompany you. I suggest the baby, dog, cat, husband, or neighbor (even the neighbor's baby) and go on a walk. The cool air and sunshine will feel great!


No comments:

Post a Comment